Wandering around the area with a friend, a sign in the restaurant's window caught my eye: Gluten Free Dosas! I don't know if it was the look of excitement on my face, or merely that my friend was hungry and we had a 4 1/2 hour drive home ahead of us, but when he asked me if I wanted to go in, the answer was a resounding "Yes!"
A dosa is an Indian crepe made from rice and lentils that is wrapped around various fillings. We decided to split the #14, which is the seasonal dosa that consists of roasted butternut squash, roasted beets, and goat cheese. It was delicious. It was the perfect amount for two to share from a single plate. It was the perfect way to cap off two fun days in the city. And I know my friend felt the same way about that moment because when we saw each other again a week later, he declared, unprompted, "That dosa was really good." Hope we get to go back soon! http://hamptonchutney.com/.
- August, 359 Bleecker St. between 10th and Charles St. Tel: 212-929-8727. http://augustny.com/. Pan-European. Seasonal. $$$
- Barbuto, 775 Washington St. at West 12th St. Tel: 212-924-9700. www.barbutonyc.com. Italian. New American. $$$
- Dell'Anima, 38 8th Ave. Tel: 212-366-6633. www.dellanima.com. Italian. $$$
- Gobo Restaurant, 401 6th Ave. between 8th St. and Waverly Pl. Tel: 212-255-3902. www.goborestaurant.com. Vegetarian. $$
- GustOrganics Restaurant and Bar, 519 6th Ave. at 14th Street. Tel: 212-242-5800. www.gustorganics.com. GF Menu. Organic. $$
- Hampton Chutney Co. (SoHo), 68 Prince St. Tel: 212-226-9996. http://hamptonchutney.com/. Indian. GF dosas and uttapams. $
- L'asso, 192 Mott St. at Kenmare. Tel: 212-219-2353. www.lassonyc.com. GF pizza. $-$$.
- Mary’s Fish Camp, 64 Charles St. between 4th and Bleeker St. Tel: 646-486-2185. www.marysfishcamp.com. Seafood. $$$
- Risotteria, 270 Bleeker St. Located between 6th and 7th Avenues. Tel: 212-924-6664. www.risotteria.com. GFRAP. Italian cuisine with GF bread sticks, pizza, salad, risotto, desserts. Very small, cannot handle large crowds. $$
- Slice, 535 Hudson St. between Charles St. and Perry St. Tel: 212-929-2920. www.sliceperfect.com. GF Pizza. $$
East Village/Lower East Side
- Babycakes NYC Bakery, 248 Broome St. between Orchard and Ludlow. Tel: 855-462-2292. www.babycakesnyc.com. Bakery. GF, DF, Vegan. $
- Jennifer's Way Bakery, 263 E. 10th St. Tel: 646-682-9501. www.jenniferswaybakery.com/. $$. Everything is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, peanut free, and refined sugar free.
- L'asso, 107 First Ave. Tel: 212-837-2048. www.lassonyc.com. GF pizza. $-$$.
- Pala, 198 Allen Street at E. Houston. Tel: 212-614-7252. www.palapizza.com. Italian. GF antipast, salad, pizze, pasta, with separate prep area, toppings, ovens, and serving platters and utensils for GF pizzas.
- S’MAC, 345 E. 12th Ave. between 1st and 2nd Avenues. Tel: 212-358-7912. www.smacnyc.com. GFRAP. Mac-n-Cheese. Take-out, Delivery, Catering. $
- Tu-Lu’s Gluten-Free Bakery, 338 E 11th St. between 2nd Ave. and 1st Ave. Tel: 212-777-2227. www.tu-lusbakery.com. GF Bakery. Lunch. $
- Friedman’s Lunch, 75 9th Ave. at Chelsea Market at 16th St. Tel: 212-929-7100. www.friedmanslunch.com. GFRAP. Breakfast and brunch. $$
- Friedman's Lunch, 132 West 31 St. between 6th and 7th Avenues. Tel: 212-971-9400. www.friedmanslunch.com. GFRAP. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. $$
- Bistango, 415 3rd Ave. at 29th St. Tel: 212-725-8484. www.bistangonyc.com. GFRAP. Italian. $$
- Bloom’s New York Deli and Restaurant, 350 Lexington Ave. at the corner of 40th St. Tel: 212-922-3663. http://www.bloomsnewyorkdeli.com/. GFRAP. $$
- S’MAC, 157 East 33rd Street between Lexington and 3rd Aves. Tel: 212-683-3900. www.smacnyc.com. GFRAP. Mac-n-Cheese. Dine-in and Takeout. $
- Don Antonio by Starita, 309 West 50th Street, 646-719-1043. http://donantoniopizza.com/. Authentic Neopolitan Pizza. $-$$.
- Lili’s 57, 200 W. 57th St. at 7th Avenue. Tel: 212-586-5333. www.lilis57.com. GFRAP. Chinese. Japanese. $$
- Nizza, 630 9th Ave. between 44th and 45th Streets. Tel: 212-956-1800. www.nizzanyc.com. GFRAP. Italian cuisine with GF pasta and their specialty, Socca, a chickpea flour pizza. $$
- Oyster Bar, 842 7th Ave. Grand Central Station. Tel: 212-586-6525. http://www.oysterbarny.com/. Seafood. $$$
- Rice ‘n’ Beans, 744 9th Ave. between 50th and 51st Streets. Tel: 212-265-4444. www.riceandbeansmidtownwest.com. Latin American, Brazilian. $$
- Ruby Foo’s, 1626 Broadway at 49th Street. Tel: 212-489-5600. www.rubyfoos.com. GF Menu. Asian Fusion. $$$
Upper East Side
- Candle 79, 154 East 79th St. at Lexington Ave. Tel: 212-537-7179. www.candle79.com. GFRAP. Vegetarian. Vegan. $$$
- Gobo Restaurant, 1426 Third Ave. at 81st St. Tel: 212-288-4686. www.goborestaurant.com. Vegetarian. $$
- Lili and Loo, 792 Lexington Ave. between 61st and 62nd Streets (southern edge of Central Park). Tel: 212-421-7800. www.liliandloo.com. GFRAP. Asian, Chinese, and Sushi. GF lunch specials Monday-Friday. $$
- Lumi, 963 Lexington Ave. at 70th Street. Tel: 212-570-2235. www.lumirestaurant.com. GFRAP. Mediterranean. Italian. $$$
- Pip’s Place, 1729-31 1st Ave. between 89th and 90th Sts. Tel: 212-360-6400. Upscale GF Bakery. http://www.pipsplacenyc.com/. $$
Upper West Side
- Nice Matin, 201 West 79th St. at Amsterdam Ave. Tel: 212-873-6423. www.nicematinnyc.com. GFRAP. French. $$
- Pappardella Cucina Tipica Italiana, 316 Columbus Ave. at 75th St. Tel: 212-595-7996. . http://www.pappardella.com. GF lunch and dinner menu, including pizza, Panini, and pasta. $$
- Sambuca, 20 West 72nd St. between Central Park West and Columbus Ave. Tel: 212-787-5656. www.sambuca.nyc.com. GFRAP. Italian. $$$
- Blue Smoke, 116 East 27th St. Tel: 212-447-7733. www.bluesmoke.com. Pit Barbeque. Southern. GF Menu (and vegetarian). $$$
- Dos Caminos, 373 Park Ave. South at 27th St. Tel: 212-294-1000. www.doscaminos.com/. Mexican. $$. Menu does not indicate GF but diners state that the staff is knowledgeable. Other New York City locations include Meatpacking District, SoHo, and 3rd Ave. at East 50th St.
- Mozzarelli’s, 38 E 23rd St. between Madison and Park. Tel: 212-475-6777. www.mozzarellis.com. GF pizza and desserts. $
- Blue Smoke, 255 Versey St. Tel: 212-889-2005. www.bluesmoke.com. Pit Barbeque. GF Menu (and vegetarian). $$$
- Hale & Hearty, numerous locations. www.haleandhearty.com. Soups are labeled vegetarian, low fat, and dairy free. Ask to see the back of the card listing the soup to verify if gluten free. $$