I was in NYC two weeks ago with my husband and three boys, ages 12, 15, and 19. We were there for only 2 nights so had time to check out just a few of the many restaurants that are celiac-friendly.
As with most destinations, and perhaps even more true for a city like New York, where you choose to eat has a lot to do with where you're staying and what you're doing when mealtime rolls around.
More to follow regarding our sightseeing and meals!
Top restaurants recommended:
1. Risotteria, 270 Bleeker St. Located in the West Village between 6th and 7th Avenues. Tel: 212-924-6664. www.risotteria.com. GIG GFRAP Participant. Italian cuisine with GF bread sticks, pizza, salad, risotto, desserts.
2. Nizza, 630 9th Ave. Located between 44th and 45th Streets, in the Theater District, two blocks west of Times Square. Tel: 212-956-1800. www.nizzanyc.com. GIG GFRAP Participant. Italian cuisine with GF pasta, and their specialty - Socca – a chickpea flour pizza.
3. Lilli and Loo, 792 Lexington Ave. Located between 61st and 62nd Streets, a few blocks east of the southern edge of Central Park. Tel: 212-421-7800. www.lilliandloo.com. GIG GFRAP Participant. Asian, Chinese and Sushi cuisine. GF lunch specials Monday-Friday.
4. Ruby Foo’s, 1626 Broadway at 49th St. Located in Times Square. Tel: 212-489-5600. http://www.brguestrestaurants.com/restaurants/ruby_foos_times_square/index.php. GF Menu. Pan-Asian Cuisine.
1. Mozzerelli’s, 23rd St. between Madison and Park. GF pizza and desserts.
2. Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station. Great fish, fabulous seafood. On the expensive side.
Rice ‘n’ Beans, on 9th Ave between 50th and 51st Streets. Located in the Clinton-Hell’s Kitchen district. Rice, beans, plantains, greens, grilled fish and meats.
3. Petit Café, 70 Greenwich Ave. Located near 7th Ave. in West Village.
4. Bistangos, 415 3rd Ave. Located at 29th Street and 3rd Ave. Tel: 212-725-8484. GIG GFRAP Participant. Italian Cuisine.
5. Bloom’s Delicatessen Café, 350 Lexington Ave. Located at the corner of 40th St. near Grand Central Station, Murray Hill/Midtown area. Tel: 212-922-3663. www.bloomsnewyorkdeli.com. Deli and Diner Cuisine, including omelets, burgers, sandwiches, and salads.
Other sites to check: