Soho Tiffen Junction, at 42 E 8th Street between University and Broadway, offers customizable South Indian food. Think Chipotle, but instead of burritos, STJ serves up dosa (sourdough crepes made with rice and lentils). Everything there is free of gluten, nuts, soy, sesame, shellfish, and cilantro.
First, choose your dish - Tiffin dosa, salad, or Tiffin bowl. Then, choose an entrée - Potato Masala, Baked Egg Whites, Pulled Pork, Kale & Vegan Cheese, Grilled Chicken, or Shredded Beef. All meats are humanely raised, and are antibiotic and hormone free. Egg whites and dairy products are organic. Lemon rice and sprouted mung beans are included with each dish. Finally, choose from assorted chutneys (mild, medium, spicy, or mango) and garnishes (salad, spinach yogurt, and pickled matchstick carrots) to complete your dish.
Crumbs Gluten Free, at 37 E 8th Street, opened in October 2013. The original Crumbs, on the Upper West Side, has been serving their signature size gluten-containing cupcakes since 2003. Crumbs Gluten Free features the same cupcakes, cookies, brownies and pastries that the brand is known for, but these are baked at a completely gluten and peanut-free bakery and delivered fresh daily to the store. It was tempting to get one of each of the dozen or so cupcake flavors, but the knowledgeable server helped me select a Milkshake Cupcake for immediate gratification, and a Lemon Muffin for my breakfast the following morning.
West Village/Greenwich Village
- August, 359 Bleecker St. between 10th and Charles St. Tel: 212-929-8727. http://augustny.com/. Pan-European. Seasonal. $$$
- Barbuto, 775 Washington St. at West 12th St. Tel: 212-924-9700. www.barbutonyc.com. Italian. New American. $$$
- Crumbs Gluten Free, 37 E 8th St. between University and Broadway. Bakery. $$
- Dell'Anima, 38 8th Ave. Tel: 212-366-6633. www.dellanima.com. Italian. $$$
- Gobo Restaurant, 401 6th Ave. between 8th St. and Waverly Pl. Tel: 212-255-3902. www.goborestaurant.com. Vegetarian. $$
- GustOrganics Restaurant and Bar, 519 6th Ave. at 14th Street. Tel: 212-242-5800. www.gustorganics.com. GF Menu. Organic. $$
- Mary’s Fish Camp, 64 Charles St. between 4th and Bleeker St. Tel: 646-486-2185. www.marysfishcamp.com. Seafood. $$$
- Risotteria, 270 Bleeker St. Located between 6th and 7th Avenues. Tel: 212-924-6664. www.risotteria.com. GFRAP. Italian cuisine with GF bread sticks, pizza, salad, risotto, desserts. Very small, cannot handle large crowds. $$
- Slice, 535 Hudson St. between Charles St. and Perry St. Tel: 212-929-2920. www.sliceperfect.com. GF Pizza. $$
- Soho Tiffen Junction, 42 E 8th St. between University and Broadway. Tel: 917-514-8409. Customizable South Indian. $
- L'asso, 192 Mott St. at Kenmare. Tel: 212-219-2353. www.lassonyc.com. GF pizza. $-$$.
East Village/Lower East Side
- Babycakes NYC Bakery, 248 Broome St. between Orchard and Ludlow. Tel: 855-462-2292. www.babycakesnyc.com. Bakery. GF, DF, Vegan. $
- S’MAC, 345 E. 12th Ave. between 1st and 2nd Avenues. Tel: 212-358-7912. www.smacnyc.com. GFRAP. Mac-n-Cheese. Take-out, Delivery, Catering. $
- Tu-Lu’s Gluten-Free Bakery, 338 E 11th St. between 2nd Ave. and 1st Ave. Tel: 212-777-2227. www.tu-lusbakery.com. GF Bakery. Lunch. $
- Pala, 198 Allen Street at E. Houston. Tel: 212-614-7252. www.palapizza.com. Italian. GF antipast, salad, pizze, pasta, with separate prep area, toppings, ovens, and serving platters and utensils for GF pizzas.
- L'asso, 107 First Ave. Tel: 212-837-2048. www.lassonyc.com. GF pizza. $-$$.
- Jennifer's Way Bakery, 263 E. 10th St. Tel: 646-682-9501. www.jenniferswaybakery.com/. $$. Everything is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, peanut free, and refined sugar free.
- Friedman’s Lunch, 75 9th Ave. at Chelsea Market at 16th St. Tel: 212-929-7100. www.friedmanslunch.com. GFRAP. Breakfast and brunch. $$
- Bistango, 415 3rd Ave. at 29th St. Tel: 212-725-8484. www.bistangonyc.com. GFRAP. Italian. $$
- Bloom’s New York Deli and Restaurant, 350 Lexington Ave. at the corner of 40th St. Tel: 212-922-3663. http://www.bloomsnewyorkdeli.com/. GFRAP. $$
- S’MAC, 157 East 33rd Street between Lexington and 3rd Aves. Tel: 212-683-3900. www.smacnyc.com. GFRAP. Mac-n-Cheese. Dine-in and Takeout. $
- Lili’s 57, 200 W. 57th St. at 7th Avenue. Tel: 212-586-5333. www.lilis57.com. GFRAP. Chinese. Japanese. $$
- Nizza, 630 9th Ave. between 44th and 45th Streets. Tel: 212-956-1800. www.nizzanyc.com. GFRAP. Italian cuisine with GF pasta and their specialty, Socca, a chickpea flour pizza. $$
- Oyster Bar, 842 7th Ave. Grand Central Station. Tel: 212-586-6525. http://www.oysterbarny.com/. Seafood. $$$
- Rice ‘n’ Beans, 744 9th Ave. between 50th and 51st Streets. Tel: 212-265-4444. www.riceandbeansmidtownwest.com. Latin American, Brazilian. $$
- Ruby Foo’s, 1626 Broadway at 49th Street. Tel: 212-489-5600. www.rubyfoos.com. GF Menu. Asian Fusion. $$$
- Don Antonio by Starita, 309 West 50th Street, 646-719-1043. http://donantoniopizza.com/. Authentic Neopolitan Pizza. $-$$.
Upper East Side
- Candle 79, 154 East 79th St. at Lexington Ave. Tel: 212-537-7179. www.candle79.com. GFRAP. Vegetarian. Vegan. $$$
- Gobo Restaurant, 1426 Third Ave. at 81st St. Tel: 212-288-4686. www.goborestaurant.com. Vegetarian. $$
- Lili and Loo, 792 Lexington Ave. between 61st and 62nd Streets (southern edge of Central Park). Tel: 212-421-7800. www.liliandloo.com. GFRAP. Asian, Chinese, and Sushi. GF lunch specials Monday-Friday. $$
- Lumi, 963 Lexington Ave. at 70th Street. Tel: 212-570-2235. www.lumirestaurant.com. GFRAP. Mediterranean. Italian. $$$
- Pip’s Place, 1729-31 1st Ave. between 89th and 90th Sts. Tel: 212-360-6400. Upscale GF Bakery. http://www.pipsplacenyc.com/. $$
Upper West Side
- Nice Matin, 201 West 79th St. at Amsterdam Ave. Tel: 212-873-6423. www.nicematinnyc.com. GFRAP. French. $$
- Sambuca, 20 West 72nd St. between Central Park West and Columbus Ave. Tel: 212-787-5656. www.sambuca.nyc.com. GFRAP. Italian. $$$
- Pappardella Cucina Tipica Italiana, 316 Columbus Ave. at 75th St. Tel: 212-595-7996. http://www.pappardella.com. GF lunch and dinner menu, including pizza, Panini, and pasta. $$
- Blue Smoke, 116 East 27th St. Tel: 212-447-7733. www.bluesmoke.com. Pit Barbeque. Southern. GF Menu (and vegetarian). $$$
- Mozzarelli’s, 38 E 23rd St. between Madison and Park. Tel: 212-475-6777. www.mozzarellis.com. GF pizza and desserts. $
- Dos Caminos, 373 Park Ave. South at 27th St. Tel: 212-294-1000. www.doscaminos.com/. Mexican. $$. Menu does not indicate GF but diners state that the staff is knowledgeable. Other New York City locations include Meatpacking District, SoHo, and 3rd Ave. at East 50th St.
- Blue Smoke, 255 Versey St. Tel: 212-889-2005. www.bluesmoke.com. Pit Barbeque. GF Menu (and vegetarian). $$$
- Hale & Hearty, numerous locations. www.haleandhearty.com. Soups are labeled vegetarian, low fat, and dairy free. Ask to see the back of the card listing the soup to verify if gluten free. $$